Chronologically, I am one year older. This birthday is the half a century mark. I love being this age. The older I get, the more comfortable I feel in my own skin. Of course, 20 seems only like it was a few years ago. I have always liked what Benjamin Franklin said about taking an older woman as a mistress:
I repeat my former Advice that in your Amours you should prefer old Women to young ones. This you call a Paradox, and demand my reasons. They are these:
1. Because they have more Knowledge of the world, and their Minds are better stored with Observations; their conversation is more improving, and more lastingly agreeable.
2. Because when Women cease to be handsome, they study to be good. To maintain their Influence over Man, they supply the Diminution of Beauty by an Augmentation of Utility. They learn to do a thousand Services, small and great, and are the most tender and useful of Friends when you are sick. Thus they continue amiable. And hence there is hardly such a thing to be found as an Old Woman who is not a good Woman.
3. Because there is no hazard of children, which irregularly produced may be attended with much inconvenience.
4. Because through more Experience they are more prudent and discreet in conducting an Intrigue to prevent Suspicion. The Commerce with them is therefore safer with regard to your reputation; and regard to theirs, if the Affair should happen to be known, considerate People might be inclined to excuse an old Woman, who would kindly take care of a young Man, form his manners by her good Councils, and prevent his ruining his Health and Fortune among mercenary Prostitutes.
5. Because in every Animal that walks upright, the Deficiency of the Fluids that fill the Muscles appears first in the highest Part. The Face first grows lank and Wrinkled; then the Neck; then the Breast and Arms; the lower parts continuing to the last as plump as ever; so that covering all above with a Basket, and regarding only what is below the Girdle, it is impossible of two Women to know an old one from a young one. And as in the Dark all Cats are grey, the Pleasure of Corporal Enjoyment with an old Woman is at least equal and frequently superior; every Knack being by Practice capable by improvement.
6. Because the sin is less. The Debauching of a Virgin may be her Ruin, and make her Life unhappy.
7. Because the Compunction is less. The having made a young Girl miserable may give you frequent bitter Reflections; none of which can attend making an old Woman happy.
8. 8th & lastly. They are so grateful!!!
Though I don't agree with all of his observations, I do agree with the general idea of older women being more knowledgable and wanting different things from a relationship. I however, feel that I have improved and become more handsome with age. I know I am capable of still turning some heads. I do love the line; in the dark all cats are grey. Despite all of that, I do not consider myself old. Most people do not guess my age at 50 and I certainly have not slowed down in my life. I do think that I have gained some wisdom over the years and I continue to seek to learn more everyday. I am quite content with my life at this point.
I did have a wonderful birthday. My youngest son prepared a feast for us last night. No cake, but he did pick up some decadent desserts from the bakery. I have never made a big deal over my birthday celebrations. I am happy to pass the day with whatever recognition that may occur. So having a special birthday meal was a nice surprise.
J. was out of town, so no birthday spanking yet, but that should happen in the next couple of weeks. Though, each day I get to spend with Him is a celebration for me. This week my sister is flying in to celebrate a belated birthday with me. I am anticipating a wonderful visit. How nice to be sure of the love of family and friends, at any age.